Specialty Doctor in Ophthalmology
NHS Medical & Dental: Specialty Doctor
- NHS Medical & Dental: Specialty Doctor
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- yeovil hospital
- £41,158 - £76,751 per annum
- 16/06/2021 08:00
I’m delighted that you’re thinking about joining the team here at Yeovil Hospital, recently rated the best Trust in the NHS for staff health and wellbeing.
Working in the NHS is both challenging and rewarding. That’s why we’re committed to giving our staff the best possible balance between a stimulating career and a relaxing personal life, enabling you to make the most of our picturesque surroundings and arrive at work energised each day.
Looking after you helps you look after our patients, and enables us to achieve some of the best performance in the NHS. For instance, we are regularly one of the top-three hospitals in England for emergency care, and we have a global reputation for research and development, and innovative partnerships with primary care.
If this is your first role in the NHS, we’ll show you why we’re one of the most respected healthcare systems in the world. And if you’re joining us from another Trust, we’ll remind you why you wanted to work in healthcare in the first place.
I look forward to working with you
Jonathan Higman, Chief Executive
The successful candidate will be responsible to, and work under the supervision of the Consultant Ophthalmologists.
The ideal candidate should have a good grounding in general ophthalmology and cataract surgery. The post will provide an opportunity to develop a sub-specialty interest in medical retina, glaucoma or oculoplastics, but candidates with training in other complimentary sub-specialities will be considered as well.
There will be scope to carry out ophthalmic surgery depending on the individual’s capability. They will be expected to actively participate in all audit projects within the department.
Main duties of the job
Specialty Doctors must have a minimum of 4 years’ experience since qualification, 2 of which must be in the relevant specialty.
To provide outstanding care to patients.
To participate in the teaching of Foundation and Junior Doctors at the bedside as well as to Medical Students.
Maintain our excellent 18 week performance (Locally set at 15 weeks).
To maintain a good working relationship with existing staff members in the hospital.
To attend other hospitals within the Trust if so requested by the supervising Consultant.
The post holder will undertake additional duties in occasional emergencies and unforeseen circumstances.
Deliver services within tariff without jeopardizing service quality.
Increase and maintain market share within the local community.
The post holder’s professional progress will be reviewed annually by the supervisory Consultant.
Post holders are encouraged to attend courses and conferences and departmental meetings to meet CME requirements.
Working for our organisation
The Trust has heavily invested into the infrastructure of the department with IT software and hardware so we have achieved going paper light which enables us to provide a digital service virtually across the 3 sites that YDH Ophthalmology department covers in East Somerset.
We have upgraded our diagnostic equipment and ensured that it is all networked so all aspects of care are at your fingertips. We have also invested in the latest version of the MediSight electronic patient record system.
To compliment this, we have redesigned our nursing workforce and worked closely with our LOC to train optometrists to help deliver a quality service.
We are actively involved in research and development having 4 national trials in our portfolio.
All resulting in achieving NICE guidelines and National Targets.
Yeovil Hospital is an ambitious and friendly Trust that is proud to provide acute care for a population of more than 225,000 people in South Somerset, North and West Dorset and parts of Mendip.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the attached job description for full details including the provisional job plan for this role.
- Primary Medical Degree MBBS or equivalent
- Full active GMC and a licence to practice
- Ophthalmology Experience
- FRCOphth or equivalent
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience post graduate training
- Minimum 2 years exposure to Ophthalmology in a specialist training programme or equivalent
- Experience of working in the UK or equivalent health care system other than a clinical attachment.
Skills, Ability and Knowledge
- Evidence of ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and oral
- Demonstrates ability to fulfil the key elements of the job description
- Demonstrates ability to develop effective Partnerships and team building
- Evidence of ability to analyse and diagnose situations and prioritise and act accordingly
- Knowledge of multidisciplinary clinical audit principles and evidence of direct involvement in as specific audit in the last 18 months
- Evidence of interest and experience in teaching appropriate to Medical students and Doctors in training and the multidisciplinary team (where required)
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mr Paritosh Shah
- Job title
- Clinical Director and Consultant Ophthalmologist
- Email address
- Additional information
We really value the impact that you will have on our patients and services; we therefore offer an enhanced benefits package (subject to criteria) which includes:
- Welcome to Yeovil Payment
- A generous relocation package, including Visa and travel costs
- £700 personal budget for training and development every year
For further information please contact email@example.com